Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Chocolate Fondue & Toasted Marshmallows: National Toasted Marshmallow Day

You know I follow these food holidays, and today is National Toasted Marshmallow Day. Of course, S'mores come to mind, and goodness knows I've posted lots of S'mores recipes. National S'mores Day (a round-up), S'mores on the Grill, and S'mores Ice Cream Pie. I'm sure I've posted more, but that will get you started.

Today, though, I wanted to post a recipe from Across the Pond. This recipe for Toasted Marshmallows and Chocolate Fondue (BBC Good Food) is a simple recipe and one of my favorites. Fondue is coming back, and this easy recipe can be prepared on the grill, barbecue or stovetop. You can always torch the marshmallows with a blowtorch, one of the most useful tools in my kitchen. I've changed the measurements for the U.S., but you can always set your own proportions. This is not the same as just putting marshmallows in chocolate as in a fountain. The toasting really makes a difference in taste. Of course you can always put this between two graham crackers and have a variation on a s'more!

Want to make this even easier? Just melt chocolate without butter, milk or cream. Of course, I think it tastes better with all that butter and stuff, but if you're out in the woods, just toast the marshmallows and dip in melted chocolate.

And, one more thing. 'Real' marshmallows are superb used with this fondue recipe! You can either make your own or buy some great ones from a terrific marshmallow maker!

Ingredients:
400g (14 oz) dark chocolate (70-85% cacao)
85g (6 tbsp) sweet butter
284ml  (1 cup) double cream (whipping cream)
300ml  ( 1 1/4 cups) milk
bag marshmallows, for dipping

Recipe:
Put chocolate, butter, cream and milk into a saucepan, and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and the sauce is smooth (on the grill, fire or stove)
Thread marshmallows onto skewers, then carefully toast on the fire (or torch them)
Dip into the fondue and eat right away.

2 comments:

Tickled Red said...

Yum! I think that I would prefer my marshmallows that way from now on.

Janet Rudolph said...

I know, they taste so much better toasty like that... so you have gooey, smoky and sweet :-)