Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

National Chocolate Milk Day: Chocolate Milk with Salt

Today is National Chocolate Milk Day. The fact that it's really hot outside today makes this such an easy day to celebrate.

Last year I posted several Recipes for Chocolate Milk, but today I want to pay homage to one of my favorite TV sitcoms, Modern Family. In the premier episode last week, Manny is studying with a girl he has a crush on. She comes to his house where Manny's doting hot Columbian Mama Gloria (Sofia Vergara) makes the kids chocolate milk. The young girl with whom Manny is smitten says that they always add salt to chocolate milk at her home. Gloria, threatened by another 'woman' in Manny's life,  says she doesn't like it that way.  Of course, when she tries it without the two in the room, she really loves it.

I've posted lots of reviews and recipes that call for salt and chocolate. Salt gives chocolate a certain pop, and I think you'll find it very refreshing in chocolate milk. Just don't add too much. A pinch will do.

The Modern Family Chocolate Milk with Salt Showdown:
Gloria: So how is it going?
Manny: Great, Kelly's moving her stuff into my notebook.
Gloria: This is sudden.
Kelly: It just felt right. Oh, you know what you should do, put a pinch of salt in the chocolate milk, it really brings out the flavor.
Gloria: Salt is for the popcorn.
Manny: Sounds good.
Gloria: You wouldn't like it.
Kelly: Maybe we should let Manny decide.
Gloria: Okay, here's the salt. We'll see what he likes.
Manny tries both:
Manny: Wow! It's great! Try it, Mom.
Gloria: I don't care for it.

Her best line of the episode, defeated and with her accent, she tells the camera, "It was delicious."

1 comment:

vallerose said...

I've also heard that a pinch of salt makes red wine taste better, although I've never tried it.
Modern family is on my TBW list. Everyone I Know raves about it.

I'm also a milk chocolate fan. The dark stuff doesn't cut it.