Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal with Chocolate Chips: National Oatmeal Month

January is National Oatmeal Month, and I can't think of a more fitting food for those of you experiencing yet a second blizzard in the Northeast.

I've posted oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and other oatmeal recipes before, but this easy recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal with Chocolate Chips is healthy, as well as delicious. Oatmeal and chocolate are a wonderful combination, and both are good for lowering bad cholesterol.

I use old fashioned slow cooking Quaker Oats in this recipe, but you can always substitute steel cut oats. Just adjust your measurements.

Chocolate Oatmeal with Chocolate Chips

1 cup milk (you can substitute water)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (I use Quaker Oats)
2 teaspoons Dark cocoa powder (I use Scharffen Berger)
2 teaspoons sugar (I sometimes use brown sugar)
Dash of Salt
Dark Chocolate Chips

Directions:
1 Heat milk and  pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
2 Reduce heat and add oats, cocoa and sugar.
3 Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. Consistency is up to you.
4 Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes.5 Remove cover, stir
6 Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips

4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

So as my Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies are baking in the oven, I decided to take a quick pop over and lo and behold...Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies greet me.

Happy Oatmeal Month Janet, yours sound good but, mine are closer, lol...

Thanks for sharing...

Lynne Perednia said...

Tomorrow's breakfast! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Oatmeal Month! I do not need a food holiday to enjoy these cookies.

Janet Rudolph said...

And, Lynne, it's all in your cupboard!