Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

BRANDIED HOT CHOCOLATE

This recipe for Hot Brandied Chocolate is for all my friends who are caught in freezing weather and blizzard conditions. Stay warm!

BRANDIED HOT CHOCOLATE

Ingredients
4 cups milk
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
5 Tbsp brandy
6 Tbsp whipped cream
4 tsp unsweetened  DARK cocoa powder, sifted

Directions
In saucepan, bring milk just to boil. Remove from heat.
Put chocolate in small saucepan and add 2 Tbsp hot milk. Stir over low heat until chocolate has melted, then stir chocolate mixture back into hot milk. Add and stir in sugar.
Stir in brandy and pour into four heatproof glasses.
Top each with whipped cream and sprinkle with sifted cocoa.

5 comments:

rufaro said...

Time to admit my ignorance...What is the difference between dark cocoa powder and, well, just cocoa powder? I have enough trouble finding ANY decent cocoa powder, and none of it indicates dark or...what is NOT dark cocoa powder called...? I grew up in Montreal drinking Droste's and miss that taste.

Janet Rudolph said...

I actually use them interchangeably.. but here's a post on the difference between Dutch Process and natural cocoa. You can order several great cocoas online. I'll post about the ones I like in the next week or so. :-)

http://dyingforchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/08/tuesday-tips-natural-vs-dutch-process.html

rufaro said...

No, no...I understand Dutch v Natural. I get confused when DARK cocoa powder is specified. Isn't all cocoa powder (without additives like sugar, etc., to make it into something-not-cocoa) dark?

Janet Rudolph said...

Gotcha.. any cocoa with a high percentage of cacao will work in most recipes as DARK cocoa..

rufaro said...

So, Drostes or Fry's that are Dutched cocoa, or Ghirardelli natural, e.g., with no other ingredients at all are DARK? Please say yes, or I'll feel really, really stupid instead of just really stupid...It's just I don't recall noticing the DARK distinction applied to cocoa powder before Dying for Chocolate. I kept meaning to ask and forgetting...

Thanks, Janet!