Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Banana Cake with Chocolate Chunks

Everyone is familiar with banana bread, and I love banana bread as much as the next person, but my favorite banana recipe growing up was for Banana 'Cake'. Yes, it's not bread.. totally different texture and sweeter. The recipe is from The Settlement Cookbook which was my mother's main cookbook. Of course when I make the Banana Cake, I add chocolate chunks!


BANANA CAKE with CHOCOLATE CHUNKS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 Tbsp sour cream
1/2 cup sweet butter
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup banana pulp  (Bananas need to be black and mushy -- almost rotten. Mash up well)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
4 ounces chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips!)

Directions
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs (beaten very lightly) and the baking soda dissolved in the sour cream. Beat well, then add the bananas, flour, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in chocolate chunks.
Bake in well buttered pan in moderate oven (350) for 40-45 minutes. (I usually use a square pan, but last time I used a bundt pan.)

You can frost this cake with coffee, chocolate or cream cheese frosting, but the cake is so moist and good it really doesn't need any frosting! I never frost it.

3 comments:

Mary said...

chocolate and bananas are such a fabulous combination! love this gorgeous cake!
Mary

R phone said...

Hi.. can't find it in The Settlement Cookbook I have (1903 edition).. any chance it's from another cookbook?

PS said...

It is from The Settlement Cookbook. I believe it may be from the 1976 edition. This is also my favorite banana bread/cake recipe and I add the mini chocolate chips to it. Funny -- I was looking for my old cookbook tonight. I wanted it for the banana "cake" that I make into small bread loaves. Thank you and my family thanks you. It is the best -- sweet and moist!